Is it really Monday already?
- For those of you who chimed in on the last post, I'll have you all know that I DID go. There were several people there, so I wandered around a bit and was amazed to find the landscaping alone was gorgeous… their house sits up on a hill and you can't see it from the road. It's an older farm house and when you get up behind it there are lots of gardens with much more than hostas. She also had a pond and a large greenhouse. (I'm so jealous…) A large lattice covered area was full of many varieties of hosta – she claims to have over 275 varieties! I didn't even know there were that many! As I was checking out she mentioned I looked familiar – I have waved at her in passing as she's been sitting at the end of the driveway waiting for the bus to pick up her kids. Yes, I introduced myself and the light-bulb went off in her eyes. At least she didn't say, "oh… YOU".
- No, Michael, she didn't have tomatoes, peppers or kale but I'm really frustrated right now. I picked up replacement plants and talked to the nursery about the possibility that cutworms were doing some damage – you know, plants cut off at the bottom but just laying there. I think deer or bunnies would actually eat the plants. So, I get some bug-killer-stuff to mix into the dirt. Done. I sprayed my deer/bunny repellent on. The next morning? You guessed it. Two more tomatoes cut off. I replaced them, put much more bug stuff in and waited overnight. The next morning as I was taking the dogs out, I walked around the house to see what, if any, damage was done overnight. A squirrel was in the process of DIGGING UP the tomato plant. Digging it up!! Not eating, not cutting it off, but digging. So, I replanted it and put more deer / bunny (squirrel?) repellent on the plants. This morning? Two more tomatoes cut off and my one kale that was left is cut off, too. Next step, a fence… but don't know what to do if it is cutworms. I tried the old wives tale trick of putting a wooden match next to the stalk, too (I suppose the cutworm isn't able to cut through the wood?). I tell you, the farmer's market is starting to look better and better.
- I didn't go to the races on Saturday night because youngest daughter had to work late and I didn't want to drive after dark. He did pretty good this week, however, coming in 3 or 4 – and is starting to get the car dialed in.
- Spent too much time doing yard work yesterday and I've got the sunburn… and the achy muscles… to prove it.
- Have to get the house in shape. Eldest son's wedding is coming fast and although it has been decided we aren't going to have a shower for the bride-to-be (unless we have a newlywed shower afterwards) and the brunch the next morning is going to be elsewhere, I hear he wants to have the "guys" come out to the house on rehearsal day for a cookout and to hang out. This will include his father-in-law-to-be, also, as well as some other male relatives. I could have lots of people tromping through the house that day.
- Planting got done over the weekend. Thank you to everyone who kept the rain away until we could get done. Rain predicted tomorrow night and could be heavy. Nice to have that load off our minds. Now Hubs is helping a friend try and finish his planting.
- Anyone watching "Heroes"?